Friday, May 11, 2012

for the Bees

        An Ubi Sunt for the Bees

Where did all the honey bees go? The loss
of spring flowers never stung so deeply
or lingered so long. That old folksong
about young men and soldiers and flowers
        and graveyards going
        seems almost apropos.
Where did they go? To graveyards? To war?
What about weddings and rice? I will
collect birdseed, instead, for the hummingbirds
who seek flowers. I will water them with
colored syrup and iced tea (sweetened,
of course). I will attract the last
remaining bees with organic honey
generously smeared on a wooden plank.
I will cover it with glass and seal it
tightly. I will hang it on my wall,
so I can watch the bees, even after
the flowers have gone to graveyards.

-

"An Ubi Sunt for the Bees" is included in the Spring 2012 issue (#5) of Mock Turtle Zine, a local print journal in Dayton, Ohio.  Previous issues of the zine (including #5) can be viewed on Mock Turtle's past issues page.

"An Ubi Sunt . . ." also appears in the Spring/Summer 2012 issue of the Ohio Poetry Association's members-only journal, Common Threads.

Eric

2 comments:

opwfredericks said...

Great poem, Eric. I wasn't familiar with this poetic theme before I received your RSS feed.

Eric Blanchard said...

Thank you, O.P.W.

I believe I wrote that during NaPoWriMo last year. It was, of course, inspired by Pete Seeger"s "Where have all the Flowers Gone." Or rather Peter, Paul & Mary's version of it.

Thanks again.