Saturday, May 11, 2013

All of a Sudden, but Not


The flat tire was a surprise (in a way),
since I thought it was merely low. Of course,
the screw sticking out between the treads
explained it.
                       But it was the windshield
that shocked me. Not only one crack, but two
or three (actually, it’s three) cracks weaving
their way from one edge to another.
“Yes, it’s still safe,” I told you
when I saw the worry in your eyes.
But what did I know? It was only today
that I looked closely at it from the outside.
The upper corner is smashed as if
someone took a brick to it or a baseball bat,
even the trim damaged. And you reminded me
of the day the storm came and stones rained down
as we passed under the railway tracks.
That is when it dawned on me: I should
be paying closer attention to things.

-

"All of a Sudden, but Notis included in the Spring 2013 issue (#7) of Mock Turtle Zine, a local print journal in Dayton, Ohio. This is my third contribution to the journal.

My poems "Beware of Poet" and "An Ubi Sunt for the Bees" appeared in the Fall 2012 issue (#6) of Mock TurtleIn addition, "An Ubi Sunt . . ." was originally included in issue #5.

Issues of Mock Turtle (including issues #5, #6, and #7) can be viewed online.

Eric

No comments: