Thursday, November 9, 2023

Two Stepping In Texas

    Snowflakes

The fallacy of snowflakes
is that no two are alike, 
because . . . chances are,
given the hundreds of millions  
of billions that fall, maybe two 
are identical, 

just as there are
doppelgangers for all of us, 
and just like, odds are,
given dozens of dice rolls, sometimes craps
is a winner. 

Perhaps planets grow life forms
just like snowflakes 
duplicate themselves, 
casually, as if almost undetectable. 

But,
as has been proclaimed 
by countless philosophers
and in “the Good Book” (at Ecclesiastes 1:9),
there is nothing new under the sun 
or above, or beyond it. 

And, even if the universe implodes,
it will recycle itself,
again and again,
with a bang.


-


    Romeo

O Romeo, Romeo, 
you are my David,

my fair-skinned masterpiece—
my beautiful love-boy.

Romeo, you are 
what is left of my heart, my

misguided youth, faded 
(and fading) memories,

my once-golden rainbow,
my final hope.

O yesterday! My Romeo,
you are my raison d'être,

my last requiem,
my grand opus. 

My faux pas. Romeo, 
you are my greatest loss,

all my hopes and dreams
save dying Juliet,

an adolescent sigh.
My best, Wm. 


-


"Snowflakes" and "Romeo" were winners of their respective contests in the Poetry Society of Texas's 2022 Annual Contests and were published in the 2023 Book of the Year.

Eric

No comments: